The Qantas Emirates partnership has gone a step further with Qantas releasing details of the reciprocal frequent flyer benefits that will be available from the proposed Emirates Qantas partnership.
If the proposed partnership receives regulatory approval some of the shared benefits for Qantas Frequent Flyers and Emirates Skywards members will include:
- Earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points or Emirates Skywards Miles on Emirates and Qantas flights (with some exceptions for Emirates Skywards members on the Qantas domestic network).
- An expanded network for members of each program to earn Qantas Status credits and Status bonus or Skywards Tier Miles and Tier bonus.
- Redeem points/Miles on any part of the Qantas or Emirates network – a combined total of more than 175 destinations worldwide.
- Access to both Qantas and Emirates lounges for Gold members (or above) of either program in Australia, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and North Africa.
- Have their tier status in either program recognised with both airlines when flying on the joint Qantas-Emirates network (where available).
In addition to reciprocal Frequent Flyer benefits both carriers also announced details of their new shared baggage policy that will see Qantas move from a Piece and weight based baggage system to a weight based system (excluding flights to/from the Americas)
As part of today’s announcement the Qantas media release goes on to say:
Chief Executive of Qantas Loyalty, Lesley Grant, said the benefits announced today would give frequent flyers of either airline the opportunity to earn and redeem points or Miles across a massive network.
“Our shared goal has been to offer Qantas and Emirates customers the best global network, flying the largest combined A380 fleet and supported by the best rewards for our frequent flyers,” said Ms Grant.
“Both airlines already offer some of the highest quality travel experiences, including our lounges and loyalty benefits, so this is about bringing together the best of both worlds,” she added.
Thierry Antinori, Emirates’ Executive Vice President, Passenger Sales Worldwide said: ”It is an exciting time to be an Emirates Skywards member, yesterday we announced Platinum – our new tier, which has been developed to enhance the travel experience for frequent travellers and to offer additional benefits to Emirates Skywards members who have earned over 150,000 Tier Miles in a year.
“Now today we are unveiling the wide range of benefits that our members can enjoy as part of the Emirates and Qantas partnership,” added Mr Antinori.
Emirates and Qantas have also announced their shared baggage policy on certain routes for travel from 31 March 2013. To enable a more seamless experience as customers travel on the joint network, Qantas will move from a piece and weight system, to a weight system, for all international flights – excluding those to/from the Americas. As part of this alignment, Emirates will increase its pre-purchase excess baggage discount to 30 per cent.
Eligible Qantas Frequent Flyers, Qantas Club members and Skywards members will enjoy additional allowances when travelling across the joint network.