Qantas today announced the introduction or Bid Now Upgrades an invitation only Business Class Upgrade bidding system that will begin operation from this week.
Bid Now Upgrades will allow Economy and Premium Economy passengers booked on both domestic and international Qantas services to upgrade to business if they receive the Bid Now Upgrade invitation email.
See the sample Bid Now Upgrade invitation email below
How will the system operate?
After Classic Upgrade Reward seats have been allocated any additional seats will be available for Bid Now
Qantas Loyalty CEO Lesley Grant said Bid Now Upgrades will provide greater opportunity for customers to travel in Qantas’ premium cabins.
“As Australia’s leading loyalty program we are always exploring new ways for our Frequent Flyers to redeem their Qantas Points and we know that upgrading to a more premium cabin is something that many of our members aspire to,” she said.
“This is designed for Frequent Flyers who don’t have a balance high enough to request an upgrade “For a member who doesn’t have enough points to submit an upgrade request for their whole family, Bid Now Upgrades offers an alternative chance to travel at the front of the plane with their spouse and children using a combination of money and points.”
Ms Grant said Bid Now Upgrades will not change the process or priority for Frequent Flyers submitting classic Upgrade Rewards more than 24 hours out from their scheduled departure.
“This new initiative will in no way impact the chances of members securing a Classic Upgrade Reward – these will always be confirmed first regardless of their Frequent Flyer tier and they remain the best value option,” she said.
- Customers invited to participate in Bid Now Upgrades will receive an email, seven days before departure, enabling them to make an offer for an upgrade within a set range of points
- Minimums are from 3,000 Qantas Points for a domestic upgrade and from 5,000 Qantas Points for an international upgrade. A minimum dollar amount will also be required.
- Customers’ Bid Now Upgrades offer can be modified or cancelled at any time up until 24 hours before departure, but customers don’t see each other’s offers.
- Customers will be notified via email approximately one day before departure if their offer has been successful or not.
- If a customer is not successful, they pay nothing and keep their current seat.
More information can be found here: http://www.qantas.com/bidnowupgrades